First Aid For Stroke
Remember To Send for Help – Call an Ambulance
The key to a better outcome for stroke victims is F.A.S.T diagnosis and treatment.
Face – does one side of the face droop when the person smiles?
Arms – When the person raises their arms does one drift down?
Speech – Is their speech slurred or not normal?
Time – If any of these signs are visible call an ambulance immediately
Signs and Symptoms
- Sudden weakness or numbness in the arms, legs face, or especially down one side of the body
- Sudden confusion, slurred speech and trouble understanding
- Sudden vision problems
- Sudden dizziness, loss of coordination and trouble walking
- Put into the recovery position
- Call an ambulance immediately
- Monitor the patient until help arrives
- Reassure the patient
- Address any problems you see e.g. drooling
- Make them comfortable
- Seek medical assistance