Safe Kids – In The Bedroom
Safe Kids Checklist – Child’s RoomTake a look at the checklist below, these are some of the more common causes of injuries in the child’s room. You should be able to answer YES to all of the following questions, if not, simply fix the problem and you are good to go.
- Is there a secure belt on the babies changing table?
- Are all accessories such as high chairs, bassinets and cribs painted with lead free paint?
- Are the slats in the crib less than 6 centimeters apart?
- Are the cribs headboard and foot free of large cut outs?
- Is everything attached to the crib secure?
- Does the crib mattress fit correctly? Is it flat and firm?
- Is the crib drop side free? (no dropside)
- Is the crib clear of large stuffed animals, soft pillows, soft bedding and bumper pads?
- Have all blind and curtain cords been tied well out of reach from the crib?
- Are all dressers secured and have the drawers closed?
- Do the lids on all storage containers and toy chests have lid supports to prevent them slamming shut?
- Is your toy chest non-locking?
- Have you put a window guard on all windows that are not emergency exits?
- Have you made certain that any night light or other electrical appliance is not touching any fabric such as curtains?
- Does your child have flame retardant sleepwear?
- Is there a smoke alarm setup for your child’s room?
- Have you removed the drawstrings from your child’s clothing?