(Low Body Temperature)
Remember To Send for Help – Call an Ambulance
The Patient must be warmed slowly.
- Warm the core temperature first, not the extremities.
- Do not immerse the patient in warm water as this may stress the heart
Signs and Symptoms
- Pale, cold and shivering
- Confusion and irrational behaviour
- Shallow breathing
- Slow pulse
- Loss of consciousness
- Move the patient to a warm place
- Cover them with blankets
- Give them a hot drink
- Give them high energy foods like chocolate.
- Lay the patient on something to keep them off the cold ground
- Remove wet clothing
- Cover them with blankets or a sleeping bag
- Call for medical assistance
- If the patient loses consciousness treat as per the unresponsive patient protocol