How To Get Rid Of Bruises
What Is A Bruise?
When we take a blow to the skin blood vessels near your skins surface are broken allowing blood to leak into the surrounding tissue – This trapped blood causes a bruise.
- Unless the skin is broken you do not need to cover the bruise
- If possible elevate the injured area
- Apply ice wrapped in a cloth or an ice pack for around ten minutes a few times a day for a couple of days to help reduce swelling
- You may use Ibuprofin (Advil) to relieve pain and reduce the swelling
Talk To Your Doctor If You:
- Notice the bruised area becoming swollen and painful
- Are still in pain three days after the injury
- Are experiencing large painful bruises which seem to just appear
- Have a tendency to bruise easily and have a history of significant bleeding
- Notice that the bruise has a lump forming over it
- Have a family history of problematic bleeding or bruising