Bites – Dogs and Cats
Minor Bite Treatment
Animal bites are very common, although they generally look minor they can turn very serious very quickly because of bacteria left deep in the puncture wounds.
This guide is for minor animal bites which have broken the skin.
For severe animal bites it is very important to seek professional medical help immediately.
For minor animal bites:
- Wash the wound using a good anti-bacterial soap and clean water
- Apply any type of antiseptic cream and wrap it in a clean bandage
Seek Professional Advice or Call an Ambulance If:
- The puncture wounds appear to be very deep
- There is significant bleeding (See Bleeding)
- You notice signs of infection such as redness, swelling or increased pain.
- You haven’t had a tetanus shot in the past five years and the wound is deep or dirty. You may need a booster shot.